Tough Conversations™ for School Leaders
ONE-DAY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT – Endorsed by NESA
Holding students, parents & staff accountable for bad behaviour & breached expectations
A solution based on proven techniques
Reducing conflict-related stress: The urgent need for principals
This course addresses the well-recognised occurrence of difficulties that school leaders face through often having to discuss sensitive, difficult subjects. Significant levels of stress for school leaders can be reduced when those conversations are handled with the skills taught in this professional development course
Expected learning outcomes
- Improved knowledge of how to negotiate a solution to a problem using a scripted mediation process.
- Better understanding of how to be less affected by someone becoming frustrated and how to manage their emotional distress.
- Strategies to progress the conversation toward a pre-planned outcome.
- Practical demonstrations of principals and school leaders managing difficult parent and staff behaviour, including what to do and say to achieve better outcomes.
- Readings and literature for follow-up research.
- Why people overreact.
- Self-control factors in adults and young people.
- How ‘frustration tolerance’ develops in people.
- What to tolerate: how to sort what you let go and what needs your attention.
- What people will do if you challenge them.
- A step-by-step process to address a problem.
- How to tame tigers: effectively dealing with offensive behaviour.
- A video demonstration of the concepts applied to a tough conversation between a parent and a principal.
Please note that this is not a train-the-trainer course and it is not designed for the subsequent on-training of other workers back at your workplace.
Flexible learning options
Train your team in-house and save
Parentshop offers convenient, flexible and highly cost effective in-house training courses. Equip professionals across your whole organisation with a unified approach to holding students, parents and staff accountable for bad behaviour and breached expectations.
Save money and travel expenses when we come to you.
Morning tea and lunch is provided, typically starting at 8.30am finishing at 4.00pm.
Parentshop are a registered COVID-safe business & are only running training at COVID-safe venues. Please, if you are unwell, stay at home.