123 Magic & Emotion Coaching
ONE-DAY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Equips you with the knowledge to teach parents and carers of 2-12 year-old children, skills to manage their children’s difficult behaviour
123 Magic & Emotion Coaching is based on two underlying perspectives on parenting: first, that children can be taught to respond more flexibly when they are frustrated or upset and second, that parents and carers can be taught easy-to-use skills they can use at particular parenting moments.
The professional training includes role play, group discussion, worksheets and videos. This one-day course equips professionals with the knowledge to teach parents the program over three sessions and/or how to teach the tenets of the program in a few one-to-one clinical sessions. Each participant receives professional practitioner training resources including a manual, slideshow and session-by-session guidelines to facilitate parent meetings.
For upcoming courses in your region or to enquire about in-house training at your organisation, see below.
Parentshop also deliver the 1-2-3 Magic & Emotion Coaching in Arabic language. See below for more information on this package or click here
Expected Learning Outcomes
- The ability to conduct the 123 Magic & Emotion Coaching program, as either a three-meeting parent education course or in one-to-one sessions.
- Knowledge of easy-to-use techniques that parents and carers can use to help children develop self-control and respond with flexibility to frustration.
Active PD points apply.
- A comprehensive training manual to teach parents 123 Magic & Emotion Coaching in a three meeting parent education course or in one-to-one sessions.
- Digital practitioner materials including a slideshow for parent presentations (this excludes the 123 Magic DVDs).
- Session-by-session guidelines for parent meetings.
- A certificate of completion.
- A licence to teach the program for three years.
- Lunch and refreshments.
- An overview of discipline approaches in contemporary Australia.
- Coverage of contemporary thinking in child development, particularly the differences between adult and children’s cognitive abilities.
- Sorting behaviours: what’s involved and the implications for how parents will respond.
- Common mistakes in addressing misbehaviour, particularly the problem with too much talk and too much emotion.
- Choosing your strategy – the three choices: do nothing, emotion coach or use 123 Magic.
- Processes of pattern-establishment and change: how negative reinforcement works, the characteristics of patterns, how to interrupt patterns and extinction bursts.
- Response flexibility in parents and carers: knowing how to avoid getting ‘hooked’ by children’s negative emotions.
- Using 123 Magic & Emotion Coaching: what it’s used for and what it’s not used for, how it’s done properly, how to implement it at home, how to avoid the two biggest mistakes of parenting.
- Developing response flexibility in children: emotion coaching and cognitive strategies parents can teach children.