123 Magic & Emotion Coaching
ONE-DAY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Equips you with the knowledge to teach parents and carers of 2-12 year-old children, skills to manage their children’s difficult behaviour
123 Magic & Emotion Coaching is based on two underlying perspectives on parenting: first, that children can be taught to respond more flexibly when they are frustrated or upset and second, that parents and carers can be taught easy-to-use skills they can use at particular parenting moments.
The professional training includes role play, group discussion, worksheets and videos. This one-day course equips professionals with the knowledge to teach parents the program over three sessions and/or how to teach the tenets of the program in a few one-to-one clinical sessions. Each certified participant receives professional practitioner training resources including a manual, slideshow and session-by-session guidelines to facilitate parent meetings.
For upcoming courses in your region or to enquire about in-house training at your organisation, see below.
Parentshop also deliver the 1-2-3 Magic & Emotion Coaching in Arabic language. See below for more information on this package or click here
Expected Learning Outcomes
- The ability to conduct the 123 Magic & Emotion Coaching program, as either a three-meeting parent education course or in one-to-one sessions.
- Knowledge of easy-to-use techniques that parents and carers can use to help children develop self-control and respond with flexibility to frustration.
Active PD points apply.
- A comprehensive training manual to teach parents 123 Magic & Emotion Coaching in a three meeting parent education course or in one-to-one sessions.
- A certificate of completion.
- Lunch and refreshments.
- An overview of discipline approaches in contemporary Australia.
- Coverage of contemporary thinking in child development, particularly the differences between adult and children’s cognitive abilities.
- Sorting behaviours: what’s involved and the implications for how parents will respond.
- Common mistakes in addressing misbehaviour, particularly the problem with too much talk and too much emotion.
- Choosing your strategy – the three choices: do nothing, emotion coach or use 123 Magic.
- Processes of pattern-establishment and change: how negative reinforcement works, the characteristics of patterns, how to interrupt patterns and extinction bursts.
- Response flexibility in parents and carers: knowing how to avoid getting ‘hooked’ by children’s negative emotions.
- Using 123 Magic & Emotion Coaching: what it’s used for and what it’s not used for, how it’s done properly, how to implement it at home, how to avoid the two biggest mistakes of parenting.
- Developing response flexibility in children: emotion coaching and cognitive strategies parents can teach children.
Certification – a new way of working starting in 2021
To become a certified parent educator, you’ll be provided with additional resources needed in order to present to parents. This ensures that our product is only being taught at the highest quality. There are several benefits in becoming certified:
Certification is renewed each year. certification is $69 per person for the first year , thereafter there will be a $49 membership fee charged annually to remain a certified parent educator.
What comes with certification
- Listing on our website as a certified 1-2-3 Magic® & Emotion Coaching parent educator.
- Access to additional resources such as relevant articles and tips on presenting.
- A comprehensive set of session guidelines.
- Digital practitioner materials, including a slideshow for parent presentations and teaching films.
- An annual licence to teach the program to parents.
- Resources for marketing.
Parentshop are a registered COVID-safe business & are only running training at COVID-safe venues. Please, if you are unwell, stay at home.