Discover skills to resolve touchy, controversial, and complex issues at work and at home.
Broken promises, missed deadlines, poor behaviour-they don’t just make others’ lives miserable; they can sap up to 50 percent of organizational performance and account for the vast majority of divorces. Crucial Accountability offers the tools for improving relationships in the workplace and in life and for resolving all these problems-permanently.
Crucial Confrontations teaches skills drawn from 10,000 hours of real-life observations to increase confidence in facing issues like:
- An employee speaks to you in an insulting tone that crosses the line between sarcasm and insubordination. Now what?
- Your boss just committed you to a deadline you know you can’t meet and not-so-subtly hinted he doesn’t want to hear complaints about it.
- Your son walks through the door sporting colorful new body art that raises your blood pressure by forty points. Speak now, pay later.
- An accountant wonders how to step up to a client who is violating the law. Can you spell unemployment?
- Family members fret over how to tell granddad that he should no longer drive his car. This is going to get ugly.
- A nurse worries about what to say to an abusive physician. She quickly remembers “how things work around here” and decides not to say anything.
Everyone knows how to run for cover, or if adequately provoked, step up to these confrontations in a way that causes a real ruckus. That we have down pat. Crucial Accountability teaches you how to deal with violated expectations in a way that solves the problem at hand, and doesn’t harm the relationship–and in fact, even strengthens it.
Crucial Accountability borrows from twenty years of research involving two groups. More than 25,000 people helped the authors identify those who were most influential during crucial confrontations. They spent 10,000 hours watching these people, documented what they saw, and then trained and tested with more than 300,000 people. Second, they measured the impact of crucial confrontations improvements on organisational and team performance – the results were immediate and sustainable: twenty to fifty percent improvements in measurable performance.
Kerry Patterson has consulted with hundreds of Fortune 500 companies using his award-winning training program to teach development and maintenance of healthy organizations.
Joseph Grenny has 20 years of experience coaching thousands of cor
Ron McMillan cofounded and was the vice president of research and development of Covey Leadership Center.
Al Switzler is currently on the faculty at the Executive Development Center at the University of Michigan.
Together these authors have founded VitalSmarts and have trained more than 500,000 people worldwide. They live in the greater Salt Lake City area.
Back cover copy
“Hey, if you read only one ‘management’ book this decade … I’d insist that it be Crucial Confrontations.” from the foreword by TOM PETERS
“Revolutionary ideas…opportunities for breakthrough…” STEPHEN R. COVEY, author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”…unleash the true potential of a relationship or organization and move it to the next level….” KEN BLANCHARD, coauthor of The One Minute Manager® and The Secret: What Great Leaders Know – and Do.
“The most recommended and most effective resource in my library.” STACEY ALLERTON FIRTH, Vice President, Human Resources, Ford of Canada.
“Brilliant strategies for those difficult discussions at home and in the workplace…”–SOLEDAD O’BRIEN, cohost of CNN’s Morning Edition.
“This book is the real deal Read it, underline it, learn from it. It’s a gem.” MIKE MURRAY, VP Human Resources and Administration, Microsoft (retired).
NEVER WALK AWAY FROM ANOTHER TOUCHY, CONTROVERSIAL, OR COMPLEX ISSUE AT WORK OR AT HOME!
Behind the problems that routinely plague families, teams, and organisations are individuals who either can’t or won’t deal with failed promises. Others have broken rules, missed deadlines, or just plain behaved badly. If anybody steps up to the issue, they often do a lousy job and create a whole new set of problems.
New research demonstrates that these disappointments aren’t just irritating they’re costly – sapping organisational performance by 20 to 50 percent and accounting for up to 90 percent of divorces. Drawn from over 10,000 hours of real-life observations, Crucial Accountability teaches skills to increase confidence in facing tough issues. Learn to:
- Permanently resolve failed promises and missed deadlines
- Transform broken rules and bad behaviors into productive accountability
- Strengthen relationships while solving problems