Join the Team
Join the Team
Are you talented and passionate about making a difference to the lives of children and families? Our current job vacancies, including education jobs are listed below.
Indigenous Parenting Consultant
What we do! Parentshop is Australia’s leading educational specialist in bringing about lifelong behaviour change! Our company name may lead you to think we only work to support families, not true, we have an exciting education division that is very popular with primary schools and the early years education sector. The specialised training courses and resources provided by Parentshop equip teachers and educators with the knowledge and practical skills to respond more effectively to difficult behaviour, while improving self-regulation. The latest research in behavioural sciences underpin our training solutions, yet they are practical and easy-to-implement – whether in one classroom or across the whole school.
The problem – How can an existing Australian parenting program be adapted to better meet the needs of Indigenous parents?
The principles of an effective parenting program should be able to translate across cultural and linguistic divides to support parents to improve their relationships with their children. To date, the 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching program has been listed as an evidence-based program by The Australian Institute of Family Studies and Kidsmatter. To date 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching has been developed for delivery as a generalist parenting program and has been taught to parents from different cultures. Parentshop, in partnership with Bushkids, intends to adapt its program to specifically meet the needs of Indigenous communities across Australia.
A solution – Adapt the 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching program to suit the learning needs of Indigenous parents.
Parentshop (the IP owner of 1-2-3 Magic training in Australia) and Bushkids (an NGO experienced in delivering services to Indigenous groups) are collaborating to adapt the 1-2-3 Magic & Emotion Coaching materials to better accommodate the learning styles of Indigenous parents, grandparents and carers and to facilitate the implementation by parenting educators.
The adaptation of the 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching program into an Indigenous format will maintain the program’s fidelity while making it relevant and easy-to-use for Indigenous services. To this effect, we will develop a curriculum and associated delivery formats (presenter/audience, tutor/ small group and one-to- one) in order to optimise the delivery of the program to Indigenous parents.
We are looking for a suitably-qualified Indigenous consultant to draft materials in consultation with Parentshop and to provide advice about culturally relevant and engaging explanations and yarns. Once adapted, Parentshop will conduct training with Indigenous family workers, who will then on-train Indigenous parents in communities across Australia.
The job – Indigenous Consultant
An opportunity exists for a dynamic and passionate Indigenous consultant who will work cooperatively with the program author and a Bushkids’ representative, to adapt the 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching materials. As an Indigenous consultant, the job involves:
- Attend the 1-2-3 Magic program (if not already trained) to learn the materials so that this knowledge can be used as a basis for subsequent input.
- Develop training materials suitable for delivery to Indigenous parents and carers.
- Availability to attend program development sessions in Byron Bay (fees and travel expenses covered).
- Participate in meetings with Indigenous communities and trial materials on small groups of parents.
- Be willing to be filmed using a teleprompter, to assist with the delivery of the program.
- Give feedback about specific cultural or Indigenous issues as they relate to the presentation of materials.
An outline of the tasks and time line involved is available on our website here. The hourly rate will be $80.00 per hour.
Expressions of interest are sought from an Indigenous consultant to be paid at each successfully-completed stage of the project and at the meeting of agreed deadlines.
To apply for this position, you will need to address each of the selection criteria:
- A recognised primary or secondary teaching qualification and at least three years’ work experience.
- Experience in program development and implementation of specific indigenous elements into a curriculum.
- Psychological knowledge of children’s developmental needs.
- A passion for helping indigenous families.
- Previous training in the 1-2-3 Magic and Emotion Coaching parenting program.
- Experience or willingness to train adults.
- Strong connections to rural and/or urban Indigenous communities.
It is very important that applicants address each of the above seven criteria one by one.
Where possible, you should provide examples of how you have met these criteria in your previous work experience or personal life.
Applications close on 15 March, 2019. All applications are to be submitted to Michael Hawton, Director at Parentshop via firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm 15 March, 2019.